The seeds at the base of the plant represent seeds of learning and the development of the plant represents the continuing growth of the individual, education and Darwin.
The colours of Stuart Park School are sky blue and royal blue. These appear on our uniforms and many of the buildings around the school. These colours were chosen because of the area the school is in. Originally, the city schools (Stuart Park, Larrakeyah, Ludmilla and Parap) all had similar colours, so at interschool competitions it was easy to identify city area schools.
The school population is divided into four Houses on a family basis. Each House is named after ships that are historically significant in Australia’s exploration and settlement.
Below is a brief explanation of the significance of the House names.
Alligator (yellow). The “Alligator” was Bremer’s ship when he set up the settlement at Victoria, Pt. Essington in 1837.
Beagle (blue). The “Beagle” was a survey ship under the command of Captain Stokes (1838 - 41) when he surveyed the North West Coast. Charles Darwin once travelled on this ship.
Moonta (green). The “Moonta”was a ship Goyder and the surveyors came north on from Adelaide in 1869.
Sirius (red). The “Sirius” was a supply ship for the First Fleet.
When the school had a smaller population only two of these original Houses were in use, Beagle and Alligator.
Points are allocated to a student’s house for:
- Academic achievement
- Good manners
- Sportsmanship etc.
and announced at full school assemblies where a trophy is presented.
An athletics carnival is held during the year where students compete in their Houses. Points are given to the Houses during the carnival to place-getters.
School Captains are elected in Term One of each year by the students in Years Five and Six. Only Year Six students are eligible to nominate for the position of School Captain. There are two boy and two girl Captains.
Each class, from Year Five and Six, elects a class member to serve on the Student Representative Council (S.R.C.).
Part of the area now known as Stuart Park was originally used as “the Police Paddock” for the horses of the Northern Territory Troopers. In the 1920s, land in the area was set aside for the establishment of a Welfare Settlement.
During World War II, an Army and Allied Works Council camp was set up. After the war, many of the evacuees who returned to Darwin moved into the camp’s Sydney Williams huts.
As the area developed, these huts were gradually removed. Many people were re-housed in the Nightcliff area. One ex-resident of the area reports that as late as 1957 the sounds of corroboree music could be heard at night.
In the late fifties, Stuart Park began to develop as a residential area.
The school was opened in 1966 with an initial enrolment of 320 children and eleven teachers.
The school buildings were only slightly damaged by Cyclone Tracy. The school’s flora sustained considerable damage in the cyclone and a program of replanting started early in 1975. Since then the school has conducted an ongoing program to maintain and improve the school grounds.
As the Stuart Park area started to once again grow in the 1990s, the school went through a substantial rebuilding program which was completed in 1999. In 2009 the school was again substantially upgraded as a result of the Federal Government’s ‘Building the Education Revolution’ funding so, even though it is now one of the oldest primary schools in Darwin, it looks, and is, very well maintained and resources are of a high standard. In late 2016 the school had two new classroom added to the Early Childhood building. The school basketball court has a permanent roof added, realising a long held dream of many students and teachers. During 2018 two more classrooms will be added in the upper primary section of the school.
Stuart Park Primary School celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2016 and the students and staff collected quite a bit of historical information on the school, the community and the city of Darwin.